Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Recipe 4: Hostel Frittata


JOURNAL ENTRY: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 14, 2001


"WOW! I just finished breakfast, came down to the computer room and saw your last email. I can't believe that you guys are coming to visit me! That is fantastic and I can't wait. What an amazing surprise.

We definitely need to talk tonight before I leave for New Zealand to discuss where we will meet. I have my train ticket to Alice Springs to see Ayer's Rock and then we head north to Darwin. From there, Karine and I will be flying to Cairns (top east c
oast) to see the Great Barrier Reef. Our plan is to do a three day tour of Cape Tribulation (rain forest) and then begin our trek down the coast.

I know that you guys fly into Sydney so maybe after a few days there, you can meet us up the coast in Rockhampton... the beef capital of Australia... lol. From there we can go visit Great Keppel Island and Fraser Island. They are supposed to be breathtaking! Can't wait to see you!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to you soon : )"


RECIPE 4: HOSTEL FRITTATA
(serves 2 - 4)




photo: Ryan Szulc www.ryanszulc.ca
Food Stylist: Noah Witenoff - the Hostel Chef www.nustyling.com


What you need:
  • 6 eggs or 4 eggs and 2 egg whites
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 small red onion, cut in half moons
  • 1/2 a coffee cup of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled, and grated (if you don't have a grater, cut into small cubes)
  • 12 small cleaned shrimps
  • 1/2 coffee cup of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 tsp of salt and pepper for egg mix

What you need to do:
  • Preheat oven to 375°F or gas mark 5.
  • Beat the eggs, milk, pepper, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
  • Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat.
  • Sautée the shrimp for a minute until they turn pink and set aside on a plate.
  • Add the onion and potatoes to the pan and sautée for a few minutes turning the potatoes often so they don't burn.
  • Add the shrimp back in the pan with the tomatoes and cook for another minute.
  • Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and top with the cheddar cheese.
  • Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven using a glove, and slide the frittata onto a plate.
  • Serve with salad greens and toast.

Do I have to use shrimp?


I just made this frittata the other day with onions and zucchini and it was awesome. Try it with sautéed mushrooms or bacon. It's a great way to eat eggs and potatoes and it is just filling enough to get you through till lunch.

Enjoy!

**Here is a side note. When Ryan and I shot this picture I had come up with a corriander sour cream to garnish the frittata. This was a basic mix of sour cream with fresh, chopped corriander. After remaking the frittata the other day, I decided to try it with salsa.....WOW! It was amazing! You have to try it!


The Hostel Chef


2 comments:

  1. Yum!! Thanks Noah. Saw your mail as well. I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipes are so delicious. I just wish your blog was around when I was backpacking a couple of years ago. Thanks for the great tips and delicious recipes! You will definitely be on my mind on my next trip.

    ReplyDelete