Friday, October 30, 2009

Olive oil....Which One to Get?



JOURNAL ENTRY: AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND - JUNE 17, 2001


"Karine and I had such a great day touring the city. We checked into our hostel, did our usual tour and went on our way. It's beautiful here and so different than Australia. It reminds me of Ireland to some extent with it's rolling hills and countryside. We were looking at our guide book and found that New Zealand has their own olive groves so we will be checking those out. It seems that New Zealand has more then just sheep! Guess the Aussie's were wrong! lol.

Auckland is really charming but it's a bit too small for my taste. Great to visit though, and I can't wait to see the rest of the North Island.
We are going to see geysers and hot springs which are all naturally heated. Sounds awesome and relaxing! I love vacation!!!!!!!''


TIP #4: OLIVE OIL... WHICH ONE TO GET?







Olive oil is one of those ingredients that people love to talk about. Extra-virgin, virgin, once pressed, twice pressed... The discussion goes on and on and on. People are concerned with its taste level and flavor, what country it came from, and how dark or light it is. These are all important concerns when you are fine dining and cooking for the passion of cooking, but let's be honest: when you are backpacking, these things don't matter to you.

The number one reason that I suggest you to use olive oil is because it is a healthy choice and an important part of a nutritious diet. It will add flavor and be the smartest option when it comes to using fat. In my opinion, I would reach for the virgin olive oil. There is still some flavor but it is less expensive and more appropriate to cook with. If you were to buy extra-virign olive oil - and cook with it - all the extra flavor you paid for would disapear once it is heated so don't waste your money!

Here are some links about olive oil:

1. Food Network Canada

2. TLC - How Olive Oil Works

3. Fine Cooking

Keep me posted on all your cooking adventures. If you have any suggestions for recipes you'd like to see in the future, please let me know. You can twitter me, email me, or facebook me at any time. Have a blast traveling for all of us wishing we were there with you!


The Hostel Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment